Gday and welder question

Everything non car related such as welcome's, forums questions and updates, etc.

Gday and welder question

by rusty beaver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Gday everyone, got put on this forum through facebook and prefer it already. Been going through alot of old posts for tips and ideas.
Worst thing i think ive done was to get rid of my EH to make room for family and houses ( usual story), having a premature mid life crisis at 35 and am back into building another with my son. Got 3 half decent bodies and assortment of parts so the fun begins.

Question about welders is which one to get under the $2000 range, ive had a few years welding transformer tanks so the mig is no mystery to me but im use to a big 3 phase beast and im only after single phase for home and after seeing rays tig progress im keen to get a mig/tig. Any good models other members could point me in the direction of?

Thanks all and im sure be be posting along the way

Re: Gday and welder question

by Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

If I have a 2k budget to buy a new mig I would buy a kemppi MinarcMig Evo 200... pretty sure you would get one for under or very close to 2k...

Keep in mind. That’s just the welder... you then have gas bottle. And other stuff... maybe close to $2500 by the time you are done...

If you wanted to spend closer to $1000 then I’d look at the unimig 200amp range. Awesome machine for home. Will do everything you need for a resto project. I currently have a 165 amp unimig that I picked up on the cheap. It’s pretty good but runs out of guts around 6-8mm plate.... so a 200amp will easy cover anything at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by 64v8wagon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:17 am

welcome rusty beaver, we have a Kemppi at work and it is a great unit but 3 phase. Ray's suggestion for the unimig 200 would be my choice also having used one for a lot of welding on my project (belongs to the bro in law)and other stuff.

by utility8 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 pm

I agree with Ray. I bought a Kemppi & as a novice, was worthwhile.