Ej van project

Post up your finished cars or keep a running forum of you progress.

Ej van project

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:58 am

EJ van project let me show you all my project. Sourced ej van from a farm in the wheat belt. It had been sitting in a paddock for 20 plus years, no wheels or hubs,when i looked at it i checked out the back floors and found that these were sound, the front gaurds and doors where knackered along with the bonnet,the sills had rust in the front section only and the subframe and attachment structure was intact and in good order. The car had the orginal engine and gear box which was to be ditched for $150
To get this home i had to get mymates together, source some wheels and hubs and recovery the car on a trailer. The rear drums were siezed, so we winched it on the trailer in the stinking heat and flies. A mission to say the least.
I got it home that afternoon and advertised the grey motor, which sold the following week. Ah the project had commenced!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.79 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
Last edited by Spaghettijet on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Ej van project

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Here are some pictures, first off remove the front gaurds and trash as they are too rusty, next was to remove the engine as itwas sold, and third was to get it on the rotisserie
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 4742 times

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:56 pm

So i next started on the floors underneath, scrubbing the dirt and surface rust off, i filled 5 20 litre tubs of dirt, theres dirt everywhere. Next was to order two front floor pans, 2 sill panels, tailgate skin and one rear floor pan. These are coming from Ray Taylor in Qld will let you all know how they fit when ive done this.
Anyway back to the scrubbing, and sanding, the floors not being replaced come up great, the inner seals are sweet with the exception of the very front that needs plating up.
The van is receiving a full v6 conversion from my vy commodore, I have a vn live axle at the shop being shortened and was going to use a hr front end with a torana rack, but after reviewing what elseis around i have decided on a full independent fabricated front end. Thisis currently eing fabricated! Meanwhile more. Cutting and welding is going on. Theold fuel tank has been removed and the spare wheel floor cut out to make room for the vn fuel tank. I have folded up a continuous support sheet metal receptacle to take the fuel tank.
Rear wheel arch have some rust along with the rear subframe, as a result i am performing the minitub modifcation by moving the wheel tub across 20 mm against the chasis rail. Thismeans cutting rail lip off and folding an internal angle and placing inside the rail. Subsquent welding and. Re strengthening the rail has also be carriedout by attaching a 1.6 mm fabriated section along the legth of the rail aft of the fwd mount for the leaf spring will post some picture!
Wait and youwill see. And the orginal colour was a herritage federation green, but im going for a claremont green
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (241.69 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
Last edited by Spaghettijet on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Now for the mini tubs and chassis rail reinforcements.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (222.54 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (234.37 KiB) Viewed 4740 times

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:12 pm

More on the mini tub action showing the strengthing plate attachment to the bottom of the rail. And here is the tail gate!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.49 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (98.62 KiB) Viewed 4739 times

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Currently i am working on fitting the right hand wheel tub following the same process. In the mean time i have had the front subframe blasted and oh dear the tin ware is rooted, so ive been running a wanted ad on this site and gumtree for a bent or rusted subframe in which to get the pieces i need. Attached is a photo of the piece that i have drill off the subframe.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (239.16 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (163.56 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 4738 times

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Next part of the plan is tofit a heater for the the demister function. I have sourced a heater assy from a l300 van and have cut off the excess plastic etc. the assy will fit up under the dash without hanging down. Ofcourse the glove box has to Go but thats ok. I am also looking for ej eh demister vents,if anyone has a spare set i am interested.
Airconditioning is also on the cards,straight out of the vy commordore and i plan to fit this unit behinh the seats under the floor with vents in the steel wall between the front and back. Also hatching a plan to have the compressor driven off the tailshaft! :D but who knows if this is achieveable. Anyone done it before?

by BrennoEH » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Compressor driven off the tailshaft ? So when you are sitting in traffic and your tailshaft is obviously not moving, what then ?

by Harv » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm

BrennoEH wrote:Compressor driven off the tailshaft ? So when you are sitting in traffic and your tailshaft is obviously not moving, what then ?

Better still, what happens to the compressor when you stick it in reverse :shock: ?

Cheers,
Harv

by Spaghettijet » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:40 pm

No aircond when stationary, but there should be enough latent cooling available with airflow across the evaporator for the duration ;)

Next