Ute Cargo/Skid Strips ( a taste of whats to come)

Exterior (including tonneau cover, mud flaps & sun visors) discussion.

Re: Ute Cargo/Skid Strips ( a taste of whats to come)

by Ray » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:36 pm

depending on how close i get to the original shape, and what material people want them out of. I think somewhere about $100 per strip... these could be custom length, for cargo access holes or even wagon rear seats...

essentially about $600-%700 a set (6 off) Im thinking....

by BrennoEH » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Did you ever get around to making these Ray ?

by Ray » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I have lot of samples.. haha..

umm yeah i think its possible... the samples shown took a decent amount of time to get right. and would be a long process for a full set.

for that reason i was looking for a better way to save myself time, and make them cheeper for all. i have one or two more tricks that i havn't tried with the machines we have at work. i was sort of waiting until i got enough interest before i invest any money or time in them...

thing is, to manufacture them myself (the way i did the samples) would cost too much in time. at some point, you have to think, do i go hame and work on these for 2 hours a night. or stay at work for another two hours of overtime... which one makes more money. hence the reason im looking at better ways

i'm still happy to hear from people interested, hell it might help motivate me if i get enough interest.

by ChrisEH/EJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:00 am

Hi, Wondering how far you got with making replica the cargo strips.. finishing off my EH ute restoration and hoping for exactly what you are planning... These things are like rocking horse do's in the wild. I think you estimate is doable. how's progress? chris

I've laminated the Masonite and ply together.. and the tray is all gleaming and ready
http://chrisflicks.phanfare.com/6390014#imageID=206760368
Attachments
20150131_201505_resize_resize.jpg
20150131_201505_resize_resize.jpg (141.88 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

by ChrisEH/EJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks// almost finished
Just side door glass and rubbers to go and this deck
Its so so goog in the tray I'l going to have the deck removable at shows so people can see the "inside" of a holden.
Was a mission laminating Masonite/Ply and now i have to paint it ( whch seems a shame) i didnt want to just cop out and make it ply.. Masonite is a really hard smooth finish. I'll get a two pot and roller i think in the Mundi Brown. Found the code on this site.. this forum is great.. Brads ute deck was the inspiration to hold true to original on the deck.
But the cargo strips are the holy grail

by ChrisEH/EJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:00 pm

i bought it while being restored.. my job was to take it a step further .. the guy had "put the original glass back in" .... there were scratched in front and rear.. they all had to come out anyway as the headlining was never replaced and was a bit manky. So i bought new glass for the whole ute.. the new glass in front and rear looks so crisp.
The side glass and quarter glass were purchased at the same time. I wanted to replace the bailey channel and door belts etc.
These utes got a fair bit of misuse in their life huh.
Man the gearbox could tell a few tales.. some young farm hand ( or many) must have had a ball out in the back crop field heh.. That got a total rebuild.. an interesting learning curve there too.. ringed gears needed to match ringed input shafts..etc etc. not all gearboxed were created equal i learnt.
I'm in Auckland, New Zealand and relied on a lot of good Aussie suppliers.. and still do.
Its a pretty rare vehicle over here.
The Tin man who worked on this was a master. That ute floor was like a cheese grater. He's completely refabricated all that in his little cave.
These strips are urgent in a way.. My son is coming back to live in NZ and i wa hoping to find them six months ago to add to his household container.. clock is ticking,

by BrennoEH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:08 pm

I may have a lead on some Chris, are you on facebook at all ? I run an EH ute group and there was a set on there

by ChrisEH/EJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm

I've reactivated it.. i'm not a facebook expert. :-(

by BrennoEH » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 pm

I found my lead, it was in my club's fb page, have sent the guy a msg for you

by ChrisEH/EJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 pm

awesome..
Your FB pages are a treasure chest!

PreviousNext