Rear hand brake cable

Brakes discussion.

Rear hand brake cable

by stevec064 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 am

hi all, first post, but been watching for quite a while. have an issue with a new 'replacement' rear hand brake cable, and was wondering if others have had the same problem. have fitted into one drum only, and the spring appears to be 25 / 35 mm too long as it kinks dramatically in the brake housing. is there a 'nominal' length for the spring, or is the expectation it will sort itself out with use? i see rares list separate cables for utes with larger shoes, but i'm none the wiser here. the first image is as it was, the second how it's turned out. any help greatly appreciated. thanks
Attachments
Copy of P1100111ab.JPG
Copy of P1100111ab.JPG (143.99 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
Copy of P1140349.JPG
Copy of P1140349.JPG (152.25 KiB) Viewed 7800 times

Re: Rear hand brake cable

by NVMYEH » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Mine is the same. In fact it is that long that i thought that it will pull itself out of the bracket inside the drum. And it seems like you need to adjust the hell out of it to get it tensioned up nice.
I have an issue also with the rear cable wanting to jump out of the U Shaped piece where it joins the Intermediate cable. I pulled it on the other day after moving the car and it did jump out.

by stevec064 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 am

Ended up with a very helpful bloke at Rares - according to the drg in his system, 130mm is the length of the spring. My cable was not from Rares, and both springs were 143mm, which explains the curve in the drum hsg. I eventually made two cuts, and the length now is 125mm, and they sit well in the drum. As the car is a lonnnnng way from being finished, it will be some time b4 i find out if i've done the right thing or not.

by NVMYEH » Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 pm

How did you cut them?? And what did you use on the ends to hold them onto the bracket inside the drum if you cut them??

by stevec064 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 pm

I cut the end of the springs back verrrry carefully with an angle grinder, that's all. was able to hold springs & cable with quick clamps (timber ones with nylon pads), and in such a manner the cable curved, forcing the spring as far away from the cable as possible (if that makes sense). i had the rear cable over 12 mths, and when i rang the supplier looking for options / suggestions, he told me if i returned it, he'd be doing the same thing and sending it back. unless you know someone who can re-crimp the ball ends on the cable, you can't cut the cable to replace the springs (would only need to do one side to slide everything off). it's either this or another $85 down the drain.