Auto transmission coolers

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

Auto transmission coolers

by ehrb20det160kw [old] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Anyone know the size of the threads for the auto fluid lines at the bottom of the EH radiators? Also, if I run a auto trans cooler, do I also need to run lines to the input and output going into the radiator or can I just bypass those and simply have 2 lines straight from the auto box to the cooler?
Cheers

Re: Auto transmission coolers

by EH_Uterus [old] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Sorry cant help with the size of the lines, but mine is setup with trans cooler mounted behind the grill on the drivers side , seems to do ok there but i dont flog the thing either.

by peter_ejeh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Most people just bypass the radiator line and just go straight to the external cooler. You can cut the original lines that run to the radiator and run flexible hose then to the cooler. Mine has the steel lines from the transmission, and flexible hose for the last bit where the cooler is. It is mounted behind the grille also.

by ehrb20det160kw [old] » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 am

Great thanks. When you say mounted behind the grill, is it in front of the radiator or to the side of that. I've read if it goes in front of the radiator, maybe to mount it an inch in front etc. to prevent heat transfer from cooler to radiator. Cheers

by EH_Uterus [old] » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 am

mines off to the side of the radiator and handles the temps in Qld well , get a larger cooler allows you to hold that much more fluid

by utility8 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm

I've always simply by passed the cooler in the radiator & fitted a remote cooler. More recently on my ute, I fitted a cooler with threaded fittings on the outlets. This allowed me to use braided lines that connected to the steel lines from the trans. I now have no leaks what so ever from the translines, (or anywhere from the trans). It is a little dearer than rubber hoses & clamps, but you'll never have to tighten the clamps on the rubber hoses to try & stop the leaks. Trans fluid also tends to make the rubber hoses harden up & become brittle too.