HYDRAMATIC horrors

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

HYDRAMATIC horrors

by Mtb2rusty » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:41 pm

G'day
I'm after a bit of hydramatic trouble shooting advise from those of you that have persevered or have experience with hydramatic trans. I have just finished a bare metal respray resto on old nannas special all pro done so I'm looking to get it on the road with not much more $ to spend.
The problem I am having is when I go to take off the motor labours a lot and needs big revs to even move and even worse in reverse. After that initial drama it shifts well until I come to a stop and try to go again. So every time in first and reverse it's hard going like brakes are on (they're not stuck on). I do want to persist a little with this trans.
Any suggestions are welcome
Donnie

Re: HYDRAMATIC horrors

by EH Axiomatic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:41 pm

I'll take a shot (Slippery box these :o )
The EJ / EH workshop manuals don't have much on the diagnostics / re build ; only a few adjustments.
I heard the main trouble was getting the bands refurbished and of course parts availability.
Here's a link to an Aussie publication for Holden transmissions repairs 1963 -1988, Hydramatic is the first in the book and shows how to rebuild it.
Its on special at the moment ;)
http://www.pitstop.net.au/products/hold ... 963--1988/
Perth's sad loss is that The PITSTOP Book Shop has now gone to Sydney to go as an on line store only . It was an excellent shop to go to
for EVERYTHING automotive, Great to browse and buy.
Ask them the may have American Hydramatic rebuild books in stock.
Google is Your best friend try this site for parts etc
http://www.autotran.us/hmparts1.html
They have a full/ good diagnostic trouble shooting guide scroll down (and around).
Also you can match the band type /style to suit yours and idea of some prices of bands and parts. The GM part numbers will highly likely match with some of those in the Holden parts book where they were the same.
Don't forget to let us all know how You get on.
Dogmatic Axiomatic

by Mtb2rusty » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for the post. I'm on track to go with trimatic conversion. Spending 3.5-4k to rebuild a hydra is not happening :roll: i have bought the linkage kit and cable off ebay and I'm chasing a tri trans hopefully I can get away with the tri not needing a rebuild. Just to get me on the road been a long time coming.
Donnie

by Mtb2rusty » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:49 pm

A question. can I take the hydra out and put the trimatic in without taking out the motor. Everything is looking so pretty in the engine bay I don't want scratch and scuff things.

by utility8 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes, Hydra out & Trimatic in, BUT, it isn't simply a bolt in. There will be work required. The trans tunnel will need a bit of manipulation including cutting out & then replating the crossmember that runs under the floor where the Trimatic will touch. Don't be tempted to simply lower the trans mount into the rear trans crossmember, modify the floor to suit.

by Mtb2rusty » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:47 pm

:cry: Gee not what I wanted to hear. I have been given installation advice from the linkage kit seller showing detailed photos of the mods needed this was not mentioned. If that is the case (need chopping ect).
In one photo show trans xmember is shown to have the upper section in centre (mount area) cut out leaving the bottom section redrilling mount holes then bracing with 2x angle steel lengths to reinforce on the under side.

by utility8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:55 pm

That is how some choose to do it, but from a correct geometry point of view, the output shaft of the Trimatic should be at the approximate same height as the Hydramatic is. Before removing the Hydra, measure from the centre of the output shaft vertically to the floor. If you then replicate this measurement when installing the Trimatic, the geomertry is maintained. The under floor mods are not too involved. In a different way, not that far removed from modifying the rear crossmember. Measuring, cutting some of the under floor crossmember out, then adding plate to the floor to compensate for the removed material. that is about it.

by hcap » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:00 pm

After all the hard work you will love the result ...... As ute8 says make sure u get the pinion angle right .....as Harv says don't ask me how I know!

by Mtb2rusty » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:32 pm

That's great info guys! Much appreciated.
Had a quick look under there b4 and I've spyed the floor crossmember to come out.
I'm going to lean a bit more now ;)
how much needs to come out (cut off at bottom of hump) or further up. Further up I'm hoping so it's not as noticeable. No reg yet
The steel to restrengthen the area. would a couple of 50x3mm flat bent to hump shape and welded suffice? Just after opinions to get my thoughts on track
Thanks in advance
Donnie

by hcap » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:19 pm

I went 50x4 flatbar my engineer seemed happy enough with that

Next