CRS Trimatic cross member

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

CRS Trimatic cross member

by Rob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Any one purchased a crs cross member for trimatic auto body sedan ... interested in how much it dropped the position of the gearbox .... the guy at crs didnt no or didnt want to tell me. I need approx 28 mm drop , it costs more to have my original modified than the crs unit .... if its correct dimensions.

Thnx in advance

Re: CRS Trimatic cross member

by hcap » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:21 pm

Rob
Are you fitting a trimatic to an automatic bodied eh/ej ?

Cheers Adam

by hcap » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Sorry was thinking out loud... There has been much discussion on this forum about notching the transmission mount to negate the need to modify the floor.... You have to be awful careful of the pinion angle.....However I have heard some have done so and have been happy with the result...

by utility8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:38 pm

If you are looking to install a Trimatc into an auto bodied EH, the original rear crossmember, completely unmodified, is what you need to do the job. There is a section of the floor crossmember that will need to be modified as the Trimatic is larger in that area than the Hydramatic.
If you don't get the Trimatic up into the correct position, to have the output shaft at the same position as the Hydramatic was, there is a possibility of introducing vibrations into your driveline.
This link below explains the reasoning behind alignment of driveline components.
As far as anything, & I mean anything from CRS, do your homework extremely well.

https://www.facebook.com/Trustmeiamamec ... 365382971/

by Rob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Thnx for the info guys , yes it is auto body .. had the tri in when i purchased .. but like almost everything ive found on this eh .. nothing has been done correctly , wrong bolts , stripped bolt holes , bodgy welding etc on front end etc etc. What was going to be a reasonably quick basic freshen up has turned into an expensive labour of love ... my winge for the day !!. Having said that i have put a straight line from diff yoke centre to output shaft centre and it appears to be around 28mm high output shaft end. I had the HR front end engine mounts redone next to an original EH front end and used a jig to get engine mount height and position correct and measuring it after done and installed the engine is same height and position in the engine bay provided i drop the rear of the engine in relation to the 28mm drop i need for the tri .... am i missing something ?.

Cheers

by utility8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Straight line from diff yoke centre to output shaft centre & appears to be 28mm high???
Don't know what you're referencing this 28mm to?
If you've got the engine mounts correct for the HR front end compared to the EH king pin front end, that's ideal. What you need at the gearbox is to have the output shaft also the same as what the EH Hydramatic had.
So, the dimension from the centre of the output shaft to where the rubber mount bolts onto the box is essentially the same for Trimatic & Hydramatic.
They also use the same rubber mount.
Therefore, the height position of the original gearbox crossmember needs to be the same to maintain the engines angle in the car as set from factory.

by Rob » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Thnx John , what i was trying to say .. was maintaining a straight line from diff yoke centre to output shaft centre .. in other words as little horizontal deviation on the rear uni with all things as level as i can get them, obviously this would change though as the rear suspension / diff went up and down over bumps in normal road useage ? ( dont know if you remember but this also had the wrong length tail shaft with no end float that i mentioned in a earlier post )This is probably where im going wrong based on your advise. Will reinvestigate it again tommorow.
Thnx again for the help.

cheers , Rob

by utility8 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Straight lines aren't what your looking for. Have another look at the link I posted earlier.
It's all about the angles of the diff pinion & the crankshaft in relation to each other.
They need to be parallel to each other.....not in a straight line as such.
Your diff going up & down doesn't dramatically change the pinion angle, so it stays parallel to the engines crankshaft angle.
The video explains this relationship as best as I can find.
As far as the tailshaft goes, the standard EH auto one is what will suit. I may be able to measure mine soon as I'm removing my full driveline for a V8 conversion in the next few weeks.
(The only remaining part is the Trimatic with full conversion for column shift. Includes drive plate, torque converter, box, tailshaft, shifter linkages & shifter gate to have column shifter, trans lines & cooler. Box was rebuilt perhaps 10K's with V8 clutch packs.)

by Rob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:53 pm

All sorted thnx for the info , John if you still have how much are you seeking for just the trimatic ?,not interested in the other bits.

cheers

by utility8 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Sold the Trimatic a few days ago Rob.

Next