Clutch Cable with EH Pedal Box

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

Clutch Cable with EH Pedal Box

by EHPREMIER » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Guys,

What are people doing when they have a clutch cable, is there some way to adapt it to the original clutch pedal?
I found a conversion set up for HQ-HZ online but I have not been able to find anything for an EH.
I am assuming there is some other way of doing it and any advice would be much appreciated.

Below is my current clutch cable set up which was on the car when I got it, I have to rego the car and I doubt this will pass as it's very rough, it also hits the inside of the bonnet when pressed fully.

DSC01274 (3).JPG
DSC01274 (3).JPG (217.74 KiB) Viewed 8521 times

Cheers, Jack
1955 FJ Ute
1959 FC Special Sedan
1964 EH Premier Sedan
1966 HR Premier Sedan 350 Chev
2006 Nissan Elgrand Rider Autech

Re: Clutch Cable with EH Pedal Box

by EHPREMIER » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:08 pm

The car is running a 5 speed I think from a VK Commodore single rail, I want to take the car back to Automatic but not yet until I gather all the bits, so for now and just to get it rego'd I just want to sort out this existing issue with the way the clutch cable is, to me it definitely looks like a back yard weld up job, if it was neater it may have passed but I am hoping there is something I can buy that will bolt straight up and sort this problem out, I am sure this is a common issue as many people are putting 4 and 5 speeds into EH's, i'm just not sure myself what people are doing, maybe changing to a later pedal box, hydraulic clutch or something, I would prefer to use what I have but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Jack
1955 FJ Ute
1959 FC Special Sedan
1964 EH Premier Sedan

by EHPREMIER » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:20 am

Hmmm, is there anyone on this board who can help me out with info?, the car sits until I can get this done, I have got other bits sorted out on the car but this is the major item I need to get sorted out for rego, basically I need a new way to make the clutch cable operational as the current setup is just very rough, any suggestions would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers, Jack
1955 FJ Ute
1959 FC Special Sedan
1964 EH Premier Sedan

by Rob » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Jack , this forum seems really dead these days , everyone gone to fake book other than a few .. i certainly an not going to get fake book .... however ... Dellow conversions sell a kit to fit hydraulic clutch to EH .. a bit pricy at $500 ish but reckon you could seek the bits needed for a lot less , just look at there pics and ideas will come to you. Failing that what about a LH type rat trap mech ... sure you could nut that out with some imagination. Or if what you got can be re-engineered for practicality and reliability go that way.
Mines auto so cant give any real world experience.

cheers

by utility8 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Hydraulic is probably your best option. Start with a replacement unmodified pedal box.

by Harv » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:59 am

Cable conversions can either be stupidly easy... or an absolute bugger to get to work. I'm halfway through an accelerator conversion on the FB, and it is definitely in the latter category :x .

As a starting point, get someone to operate the clutch for you whilst you are under the car. As the clutch operates, measure (carefully) how much "travel" you need at the gearbox end of the cable (i.e. just how far does the inner cable need to move). This is a critical measurement - you will need a system of levers at the pedal end of the cable that moves at least this far.

With your trusty ruler in hand, have your assistant again work the clutch pedal while you take a look at the original pedal assembly. Start from the pedal, and work your way along. Is there anywhere that moves the amount of "travel" you need?

If there is an original clutch component that moves in a straight line and moves too far (too much travel) you can always put a stop under the clutch pedal.
If there is an original clutch component that moves in an arc and moves too far (too much travel) you can drill a hole through the component closer to the centre of the arc and use a clevis to attach.
If there is an original clutch component that moves in an arc and moves too little (not enough travel) you can bolt (or weld) on an extension to get more travel. This can however give you a great big swinging lever that fouls on something else. It looks like your system has already had this done.
If there is an original clutch component that moves in a straight line and moves too little (not enough travel) it gets tough... you need to build a pivot with enough travel on the other side of the arm. This is (sadly) where I am up to on the FB.

Once you have you two ends set up, you need to think about how the cable is secured. Clevis are easiest, don't mind rotation and are simple to fit. Gimbles tend to chew the cable a bit - harder on the gear of they are coming apart all the time. SuperCheap rubber lined P-clamps will hold the outer cable pretty well, similarly to how a Stromberg choke cable is held. Grab a length of string, and run it out between your two connection points. Add an inch or two for slack, and you have your cable length. There are a few mobs that can make you a cable to suit, with the correct ends - in Vic, try Auto Cables (03) 94393777. In NSW I recommend FlexibleDrive (1300363735) - awesome to deal with. They can even put on a fancy mounting point if you don't like the idea of P-clamps.

One way to tackle the above is to have a go, and post some photos as you progress. If you get stuck, the forum can probably help you out one step at a time.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice Reverse Engineer)

by EHPREMIER » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Thankyou very much for the replies, yes this cable setup looks to be more trouble than it's worth, had thought of going hydraulic with it but havn't even looked at the gearbox end in regards to how it operates, living out in a small country town makes things harder to do that's for sure.

Seriously considering just going ahead and converting it to automatic as it would have been originally, have a trimatic that came with the car but not sure of condition, maybe it's a hydro! not sure anyway, have an auto pedal box, have the original auto honey pot and indicator surround that can go back in as I think i'de go with column, that way I can fit the original console and not have to cut into it for a t-bar setup.

I guess going auto there will be other issues like tailshaft, crossmember, speedo cable and linkages, I do have an old parts car hr p/glide auto here, I am guessing I can use the flywheel from that for the conversion, I may have the linkages, crossmember in the car now looks like an aoto one but may have been modded, maybe the HR tailshaft might work in the trimatic, I dunno lot's to look at I guess, thinking, thinking.....

Cheers, Jack :arrow:
1955 FJ Ute
1959 FC Special Sedan
1964 EH Premier Sedan

by Harv » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:22 pm

G'day Jack,

Nothing wrong with living out bush... you'd be surprised how many old Holden guys live in the middle of nowhere.

An easy way to identify your spare gearbox is by the oil pan. Take a look at page 8 of the Guide below... gives you a bit of a help.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/141577453/FB- ... ASTS-GUIDE

Cheers,
Harv