How wide tyres and wheels for an EH?

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

Re: How wide tyres and wheels for an EH?

by EH 304 [old] » Sun May 01, 2011 1:52 pm

just a handy tip for tyres/rims and diffs, get tyres/rims first set them up and then sort out how wide diff needs to be, including brakes etc,
hope that helps someone,
cheers ray

by Tuf064 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Hey mate I'm looking at getting some dragways so I would think to get everything set up and then get the wheels made to suit.

by Ray » Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 pm

ok my 20c worth...

as pete has described above... is to the tee on how i did my car ( i followed this threed)

diff 13mm wider, rear wheels counteract that so the rear is zero offset.
front, same hq stubs, zero offset wheels 205s sweet.

BUT... always a but.

if i were to do my wheels again. i would give myself another 5mm positive in the front. its bugger all but just enough. i don't baby my car and i have had my 205s on the front touch... once. once is enough. another 5 mm i would be happy. ( i also have lips on the front guards cut back to 5 mm and folded up)

IF i were to do the back again. i would make the over all offset 5mm positive. to give me an extra 5 mm onther outside...

remember, these car will all vary from car to car, following someone elses measurements like i did is risky. i wouldn't do it again even though my car is pretty good. but we all have different driving habits and want different things from our car. if you don't plan to corner your car you can have 18" wheels front and back with the car lowered 100mm from the ground. but i like to turn the wheels, its just an added convenience

by Tuf064 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Could people post a pic of their height and also a centre of hub to guard measurement please?

by webbey64 [old] » Sun May 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey mate will post up pic and height near end of week if thats ok just need to get my rack setup on the cross member before i put it back under there :)

by bj63ej [old] » Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 am

Hey Peter,
Just with your orginal post you state that you have 13mm -ve (negitive) offset wheels to go with your wider diff to give the same wheel track as an orignal EH diff.

Wouldn't you need 13mm +ve (positive) offset rims to maintain the same wheel track with the wider diff.

By my reconing 13mm -ve offset wheels with a 13mm wider diff per side would push out the rims by 26mm on each side

I only ask as i'm looking into wheels at the moment and thought i had a good understanding of offset etc.

Cheers Ben

by peter_ejeh » Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 am

quote:
Originally posted by bj63ej

Hey Peter,
Just with your orginal post you state that you have 13mm -ve (negitive) offset wheels to go with your wider diff to give the same wheel track as an orignal EH diff.

Wouldn't you need 13mm +ve (positive) offset rims to maintain the same wheel track with the wider diff.

By my reconing 13mm -ve offset wheels with a 13mm wider diff per side would push out the rims by 26mm on each side

I only ask as i'm looking into wheels at the moment and thought i had a good understanding of offset etc.

Cheers Ben

You are absolutely right. I stuffed up so bad. It is 13mm+ve offset (1/2 inch+ve) that makes the rims go inside the body more.

My diff being 13mm more per side is what counteracts the 13mm+ve offset of the wheels.

by bj63ej [old] » Mon May 02, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks for that peter,

I have a borg warner diff in my EJ also. My diff is 1420mm wide which sounds like its a tad wider than yours.

I'm looking at 18mm +ve offset wheels on the rear to maintain orignal track, hopefully 16x8 prob 16x7

This was to allow for the RTA VSI 9 rule in changing wheel track. Which says that donner vechile rear track - shortening + 25mm = max wheel track. Something to do with stress on the flange.

My engineer pointed me towards a VS diff (not that i know how he could tell what model the my diff mine from) as this had an option with 30mm offset wheels per him. Which puts me within 1mm of the limit haha.

Ben

by Tuf064 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:18 pm

hi pete, just want to clarify - is it the car in the front of this picture you are talking about in this thread, with the 16" wheels on it.

by peter_ejeh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

Yes that is my car at the front of the pic. No tyres touch ever at all no matter what how fast or what gutter I turn into, no matter what U turn I do, no matter how many fat bastards I have in the car. Although my rear diff yoke kisses the tailshaft tunnel when I dump 1st to 2nd at about 5000rpm.

PreviousNext