327/350 chev and rear mount rack?

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

327/350 chev and rear mount rack?

by s4eh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Looking at going down the chev path and doing my research before i get stuck in..What options are there with rear mount rack and pinion steering when a chev is fitted?

Re: 327/350 chev and rear mount rack?

by peter_ejeh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

A LH starter motor conversion will help a lot to move it to the other side away from the steering shafts. The conversion kit is about $400+ from places like Castle Auto Electrics. The oil pickup and sump will also have to be modified, however I do not have info on that particularly.

The 5 litre injected V8 as fitted to Commodores will fit with rear rack quite well. Holden engine in a Holden car. Can get them built up to 383 cubic inch.

by smanttan [old] » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:41 am

is there a reason you want to go rear rack and not front. i'm getting a front mounted made up at the moment and you use hq sump and pick up and don't need to modify the sump.Talk to rods racks at beaudesert he seems to know the ins and outs.

by Rock_Lobster » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 am

With a front mount rack, you will never get the correct "Ackerman" angles. This creates "toe out" on turns. To get correct Ackerman, the steering arm tie rod junction should be in a line from the centre of the rear axle to the stub axle pivot. This is easy with a rear mount rack.

With a front mount rack, the tie rod to steering arm junction would need to be outside the stub axle pivot. Wheels and brakes get in the way. So you end up with less "toe out" on turns than is optimal.
The Torana boys know all about this.

That said, the A9X is known for great handling, and clubmans (Lotus 7) handle like nothing else, both with front mount racks.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death.

Rock Lob

by smanttan [old] » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Its always good to get all the info before you start spending money nothing worst than starting a project blind thats what i like about this forum information is power

by bloomers » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:49 am

quote:
Originally posted by Rock_Lobster
That said, the A9X is known for great handling, and clubmans (Lotus 7) handle like nothing else, both with front mount racks.

I have a clubman and I can assure you that the handling is great.

I have some build photos if you are interested
http://picasaweb.google.com/glenn.bloomfield/AnotherYellowWestfield03?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-wlKGmr8jo_wE&feat=directlink#5355851152532064738
Glenn

EH Holden Ute
Westfield SEi, F20C

by FROGGR [old] » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 am

The handling is great in my LJ Torana too... it's just the three point turns that feel awkward... especially when the car is quite toey. Apparently the saying (going around) for the LX hatchbacks was "understeer your way to paradise." Having driven both, I can see what they mean...

I had a rear rack set up made by Rods Racks for a van that I was going to build... sold it to a mate when I sold then van and bought a Prem sedan already set up with a rear rack - the curious thing is that it came with paperwork saying the rack was a CRS job... only I thought that they only did front mounted racks (at the time when it was built, around 02').

Cheers, FROGGR

by ehsv6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm

CRS Rear rack -
http://www.rodshop.com.au/holden/ej-eh-to-chev-V8.htm

Scroll down to rear rack, lots of info and prices.

Image Insert:

78.59?KB

by benji [old] » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Full ackerman is only relevent with r&p if the rack is in a dead straight line with your spindle rack ends, which at the end of the day doesn't happen if you go to tune out any bump steer. You usually lose out on on or the other, the best you can do is compromise, go for as little bump steer as possible and then see how your ackerman looks.
If your front rack spindle ends are inboard abit to clear rims etc, you can tune out bumpsteer and to a degree tune in akerman by moving your rack foward/ rearward of the spindle rod end centre line. If that makes sense!

by Rock_Lobster » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 pm

My understanding, and i'm not Dr suspension, is that the to get minimum bump steer, the rack pivots should intersect a line between the upper and lower pivots. Ideally, at this point, the rack arms should also be parallel to the lower wishbones, and the rack should be a straight line between the steering arms. Get this right, and using a rear mount rack for the best ackerman, and you will get the best steering possible.

But it's usually all a compromise anyway. The HR front end is not the perfect set up either. Could do with lowering the top wishbone pivot.

quote:

I have a clubman and I can assure you that the handling is great.

I have some build photos if you are interested

FROGGR, is that an F20C i spy in the Westie ?

That thing must go like a demon
. A yellow demon

Rock Lob

Next