gearbox differences

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

gearbox differences

by ejwagon [old] » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 pm

I know the casing/extension/bell housing for the ej and the early eh is different to the later eh and onwards, but I would like to know if the internals are interchangable. I picked up a box at the local swap meet that is for the later red (HD i think) for nothing and was wondering if it was worth keeping for spares?

Re: gearbox differences

by SJP [old] » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 am

The interchangeable parts are the input shaft, main shaft, synchro hub, second gear and reverse idler. The cluster and first gear are not interchangeable. The side cover can be swapped over if you use replace the first/reverse rod and selector fork.

I would hold onto it for spares.

by ejwagon [old] » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 am

Can the fist/reverse gear be used from the later box along with the later side cover?

The reason I ask is the spare later box has a decent looking gear where the EJ gray box is looking a bit worse for ware

by SJP [old] » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Getting interesting.

You should be able to use the later reverse/first sliding gear in the EJ box, however, the later side cover won't work as the selector arm for 2nd & 3rd gear is a different shape and the side cover will foul on the housing. The EJ side cover won't work as the reverse/first selector arm is different.

You will need a hybrid side cover with the selector rod and selector arm from the EJ box for 2nd and 3rd gear, and the selector rod (this is the rod with the notches in it inside the side cover) and arm from the later box for 1st and reverse.

If you go down this path, you may have some fun with the spring loaded ball bearings located inside the selector arms. Also, when using the later reverse/first slider gear, always face the less chewed side of the gear towards first gear on the cluster gear which then uses the more worn side for reverse.

Cheers

by ejwagon [old] » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 am

OK I finally have found the correct tool for removing the speedo gear and have pulled all of my spares apart and cleaned, measured and sorted all the parts.
I have tested the first gear from a "D" series on an earlier box and all seems well on the bench
Now for the questions.
any problems with running the longer needles on the layshaft from the later box in the early box?
The thrust washers are differenet, the early box has dimples facing the laygear where as the later box has none, was this an improvement from the older style washers?