Input shafts

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

Input shafts

by ejwagon [old] » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 am

Are the input shafts interchangeable between the ej/early eh and the later eh, hd, hr, hk crash boxes? Reason being I have a spare late eh red motor crash box and a knacked input shaft on the ej.

Re: Input shafts

by SJP [old] » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:54 am

The EJ, EH & early HD boxes are interchangeable. They are not with later HD, HR & HK. The earlier boxes are referred to as 'D' series boxes and the later as 'H' series boxes (There is a serial number stamped on the back of the cast iron housing that is prefixed with either a D or an H). The input shafts, main shaft and second gear are different between D & H series boxes. The easiest way to tell is that H series boxes have a groove on the input shaft (the H series is the one on the left)

The other visual difference is that the teeth on the H series shafts are longer (note: Both these shafts are in average condition but you can still see the difference. Sorry about the shadow)

So as long as the replacement input shaft is the same type as the original, it should be fine.

Cheers

by ejwagon [old] » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Cheers, you have answered my question.

NExt question. I have forgotten which way the conical spring washer faces on the input shaft.
Is it the concave surface towards the bearing? No bloody manual shows which way.

by SJP [old] » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:26 pm

The convex side goes to the bellhousing, so the concave goes toward the bearing. Smear some grease on the washer to hold it in place in the bellhousing. It should be a snug fit in the recess. If not you probably have it around the wrong way.

by ejwagon [old] » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Cheers.
Interestingly the spare grey box I pilfered, had a "D" series input shaft with the groove and the longer teeth you described!Hmm

by ejwagon [old] » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm

OK, spare box in. The old girl no longer jumps out of top gear and changes better BUT now a new noise has appeared. What sounds like a constant bearing noise under load in mainly first and second. Still hear it in top but not as much. Funnily enough it sounds like it is coming from the diff but I suspect the noise is just transferring down the drive line as the noise has only started when I put the spare box in

Now from the reading of this fantastic forum it could be the layshaft and bearings. Does this sound possible?

looks like it might be worth putting a full bearing kit through it

by SJP [old] » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 pm

There is a good chance the lay shaft is worn. An overhaul kit is probably not a bad idea. In case you are not aware, the EJ and early 149 boxes are a different overhaul kit to the later boxes. The needle rollers for the cluster gear are different. The EJ has shorter needles with a washer at each end.

If you have 2 boxes, I would pull the cluster gear out of the other box and use the better of the 2. The main place to check is the case hardening inside in the cluster gear on both ends as these surfaces do suffer from pitting as they wear.

Lucky they are an easy box to drop in and out.

by ejwagon [old] » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Yeh, got it down to about 30 minutes out! I may look at knocking the layshaft and needle rollers out of the box that was jumping out of third. I have to keep an eye out for a bearing puller with a long reach so i can get the speedo drive off one of these boxes and do a full bearing/syncro springs on one of the boxes.
Good thing is I am learining as I go. Actually enjoying tha challenge. Thanks for your help

by ejwagon [old] » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Instruction manual says to "drift" out the layshaft from reat to front but no amount of "drifting" with a punch and large hammer will get it to move.
Do I just find a bigger hammer. I noticed there is a small ball bearing locating the shaft on the front of the mount. Does this have any bearing (sorry) on the shaft moving?

by SJP [old] » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:09 am

Find a bigger hammer and possibly a bigger drift. They can be very tight. The ball bearing in the front won't cause any problems as it will come out with the shaft. I just place some grease over the slot at the front so the ball bearing doesn't go missing when the shaft comes forward out of the box.

Next