Trimatic shifter

Driveline (including transmissions, differentials, tailshafts) discussion.

Trimatic shifter

by EH_Uterus [old] » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Good evening,
i have a few questions regarding after market shifters and consoles for my EH ute. I finally got around to gutting the interior for a make over today.

The trimatic in the ute has a mechanical linkage on the passenger side, im assuming from what i have read that this makes it a commodore box , do i need a specific brand shifter like B and M ? Im willing to forego the console for a clean look if need be.

Also looks like the bloke that put the box in has changed the transmission tunnel size ( very dodgy job ) , i have ordered trufit carpet for a manual EH, will i need to change this to Auto EH carpet to get a clean fit ?

I also want to prep the floor , firstly im going to wirebrush it clean but im not sure what sort of sealer rustproofing i need to use as im covering as much of the firewall , floor and rear of the cabin in Reso mat before the underfelt and carpet goes in ,

any input will be greatly appreciated
Sean

Re: Trimatic shifter

by stork [old] » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Can use aVT/VX shifter floor mount,easy to fit,some minor mods needed,msg me of u want for info ehejholden@yahoo.com.au.looks clean if u want that look.$50 at most cheap wreckers.

by peter_ejeh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

quote:
Originally posted by EH_Uterus

Good evening,
i have a few questions regarding after market shifters and consoles for my EH ute. I finally got around to gutting the interior for a make over today.

The trimatic in the ute has a mechanical linkage on the passenger side, im assuming from what i have read that this makes it a commodore box , do i need a specific brand shifter like B and M ? Im willing to forego the console for a clean look if need be.

Also looks like the bloke that put the box in has changed the transmission tunnel size ( very dodgy job ) , i have ordered trufit carpet for a manual EH, will i need to change this to Auto EH carpet to get a clean fit ?

I also want to prep the floor , firstly im going to wirebrush it clean but im not sure what sort of sealer rustproofing i need to use as im covering as much of the firewall , floor and rear of the cabin in Reso mat before the underfelt and carpet goes in ,

Sean

The Trimatic in the Limo has an LJ Torana shifter bezel on the original EH Prem console.

My own EH sedan has a B&M Quick Silver ratchet shifter on the floor.

What do you want? What can you find?

Who knows what size your tunnel is now, so there is no way of knowing what carpet will fit. If your BODY ID plate says EH2106A, it is an Auto floorpan, if it is EH2106M, it is a manual floorpan.

There is a possibility an auto tunnel has been welded in. Unless you know what size it looks like, you wont know if it is correct. Basically it just looks like a bigger tunnel than manual.

by EH_Uterus [old] » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm

quote:
Originally posted by stork

Can use aVT/VX shifter floor mount,easy to fit,some minor mods needed,msg me of u want for info ehejholden@yahoo.com.au.looks clean if u want that look.$50 at most cheap wreckers.

Thanks mate thats handy to know, im fairly sure i'd like the look of an aftermarket type, i just dont understand what im reading about them being cable ect when the box i have obviously has a metal rod like a linkage , i was hoping for something out of the box that;ll just fit up

by EH_Uterus [old] » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 pm

quote:
Originally posted by peter_ejeh

quote:
Originally posted by EH_Uterus

Good evening,

Sean

The Trimatic in the Limo has an LJ Torana shifter bezel on the original EH Prem console.

My own EH sedan has a B&M Quick Silver ratchet shifter on the floor.

What do you want? What can you find?

Who knows what size your tunnel is now, so there is no way of knowing what carpet will fit. If your BODY ID plate says EH2106A, it is an Auto floorpan, if it is EH2106M, it is a manual floorpan.

There is a possibility an auto tunnel has been welded in. Unless you know what size it looks like, you wont know if it is correct. Basically it just looks like a bigger tunnel than manual.

The one thats fitted now must be a torana one as it also has the Prem console , im not keen to keep the console as it's not 100% ( old mate that built it has drilled holes everywhere )

by peter_ejeh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm

A cable shifter has a bracket that bolts to the side of the box, and does what the linkage does. An aftermarket shifter like the B&M has the bracket available. I got one with my shifter no problem.

by EH_Uterus [old] » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

quote:
Originally posted by peter_ejeh

A cable shifter has a bracket that bolts to the side of the box, and does what the linkage does. An aftermarket shifter like the B&M has the bracket available. I got one with my shifter no problem.

Thanks Peter, after doing some more research i now understand how it hooks up, found a place that also sells the passenger side bracket for Trimatic, will get both tomorrow,
Cheers