Switch EH panels back to EJ

Paint, bodywork and fabrication discussion.

Switch EH panels back to EJ

by Green_ute » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm

G'day. I've got an EJ ute that the previous owner did his best to make look like an EH. After driving it like this for 10 years I'm finally in a position to start to put it right. I'm just chasing some info on what panels etc required? The bonnet and grill are the obvious things but what about underneath like the radiator supports etc? I know some parts are unique and others are common to both EJ and EH but not sure which.

The radiator currently fitted is the narrow 149 style and it's hooked a tired 186. Even with the EJ panels fitted I'll need better cooling as the 186 cooks in traffic in summer. Does the EH 179 radiator support fit behind the EJ nose?

The fuel flap was also removed and a round EH cap welded in place. Would the simplest thing for this be to just get a cut from a wrecking EJ? I do have a fuel flap in the shed but no quarter panels.

I'm not in a huge hurry but want to start accumulating the parts necessary. Really appreciate any advice.

cheers

Pat

Re: Switch EH panels back to EJ

by Harv » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:21 am

Green_ute wrote:The bonnet and grill are the obvious things but what about underneath like the radiator supports etc? I know some parts are unique and others are common to both EJ and EH but not sure which.

The MasterParts 20 Year Catalogue (Master Old Farts Dogalogue) is a good place to start. It lists out many parts for various Holdens (up to HR). Where the part number is the same for EJ and EH, the parts are interchangeable. Where the part numbers are different, it gets tougher and you need advice from people who have actually tried to swap the bits over. The MasterParts lists a different radiator support assembly for EJ and EH.

Cheers,
Harv