179 Rebuild

Engine discussion.

179 Rebuild

by Carpet56 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Hi people, i am in a bit of a quandry at the moment with my eh motor rebuild. My eh (which was a barn find)has original 179 motor and auto box and i want to keep it that way, only prob is i cannot seem to find 179 pistons 20 thou over anywhere in queensland to replace the standard pistons. I rang a shop in melbourne and they say they can get new 179 pistons made to measure from sth australia for around 800 dollars a set. I have been told by some engine shops that standard 186 pistons will work well. My question is this, is it better to get 20 thou over 179 pistons made and bore to size or bore to 186. Will boring to 186 take too much out of the cylinder wall and cause heating probs. Remember i am only restoring to standard so i am not building a flyer, those days are gone for me. I am sure that the 186 pistons should be a lot cheaper than 800 dollars. Any info will be appreciated.
Regards Glenn

Re: 179 Rebuild

by doc1965 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Its a lot easier and cheaper for you to just take it to standard 186 piston, It wont affect the bores or motor at all, it was standard practice to bore a 179 to a 186. Had one in my Ej for 25 years and never had any problem

by Carpet56 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Thanks doc. I thought that mat be the case but had never done it. I had done 186 to 192 on a couple of occasions. Found a engine parts shop today and can get the standard 186 pistons,rings etc for a a third of the price of the 179 special order from sth aus.
Glenn

by claysummers » Fri May 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi Glenn,
My understanding is that the block castings for HP, 179 and 186 were unchanged.

I’ve been lucky enough to get hold of a low number HP motor which I’m told only did 30,000 miles prior to stripping the old timing gear 30 years ago, so I will keep the original pistons and bores.

Had a 192 years ago which always ran hot. It was said due to the thin cylinder walls. I don’t know but it put me off them.

Cheers
Clay

by Carpet56 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks to all who replied to my question. After deliberation i finally went the 186 route and have it all back together ready to go into the car. One more question though, the original lower thermostat housing which is cast, not alloy only has two bolts holding it to the front of the cylinder head but there is another bolt hole below it but above the water pump on the head which i am sure when i took the motor apart nearly 12 months ago now had nothing in it. Is this hole for the later model housing which have 3 bolts holding them to the head. I presume this to be the case as the gasket set i have has a gasket which i will have to cut down to fit as my head does not have the slot in the head which the gasket would fit. Obviously this slot was not in the early M179 cylinder head which i have. Just checking if this is the case before said motor goes back in. Just as a side note the sender unit in the thermostat housing was bloody hard to remove after 30 years of sitting in a shed. Had to heat up the housing.
Regards Glenn

by claysummers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am

Hi Glenn,
Had a look at the motor I’ve got sitting which has a 179 head and yes the third hole sits un-used. Interesting that they had made provision for the later thermo housing to be mounted, but not the holes for coolant to exit. You can’t run inlet manifold coolant based heating using a 179/149 head due to the lack of these holes by the way. Don’t suppose it will affect you as you’re running the original cast inlet with complementing exhaust gas heating for originality I assume. Whether it works or not is really only an issue on very cold starts and it just takes a bit longer to warm up.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Cheers
Clay

by Carpet56 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for the info Clay. Luckily where i live in toowoomba we dont get the frost etc but get the damn winds which are a killer like today. Will just have to put up with cold starts like the bad old days although with no heater in it i wont be heading out til it gets warmer like mid morning. Once on the road i might look for the poor mans heater which just relies on the air through the vent if i can find one.
Thanks Glenn.